Monday, November 27, 2006

11/17/06

Plane trip was not fun as might be guessed, but it was survivable. Spent most a good amount of time watching prison break on my MP3 player. Before getting on the second plane in LA I met a couple of good guys. One named "Tony" who is Czech but had been in America, living in California for many years. His English is fluent. He is a custom wood worker. We agreed to possibly meet up and share a taxi when we ended up in Bangkok.

On the long plane ride to Taiwan, I was sat next to a good guy from Vegas. We spoke very little except for the end of the trip, but exchanged emails and agreed to possibly meet up in Pattaya or Chiang Mai.

Once in Bangkok (1:30am BKK time), Tony and I shared a taxi to Koh San Road and found rooms for 300 baht ($1=36 baht, so about $8?) The room is so tiny you wouldn't believe. The toilet is in the shower stall!!, and there's no sink. But, it had AC and you couldn't ask for more for the price. I will put pictures when I'm able to upload them from the camera.
The first thing you notice when walking outside from the airport is the humidity. HOT even at 2am. Temperature I believe was low 80's and humidity felt to me maybe 70-80%.
Slightly disappointed on the ride from the airport to Koh San Road. Not very exotic looking at all. Big concrete freeways etc... But upon getting further into the less modern parts of the city, the differences started to show.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so Google Koh San Road. Needless to say, prostitutes were all over the street. There were bars open to the street with all sorts of people drinking and eating. Little food carts were numerous up and down the street. After settling into the room Tony and I ventured out. I went to a cart and bought a noodle/egg dish for 20 baht. Quite satisfying and a decent portion. I joined Tony in one of the bars and ordered a large bottled water for 20 baht. Tony enjoyed several mixed drinks, but the price (approx. $3) was beyond what I was willing to pay.

After sitting there for a bit and chatting, an argument broke out between the Thai working at the restaurant and 2 farang (foreigners). At some point a table got pushed over... I believe by one of the farang. Directly in front of us the farang got a quick jab to his face by a chubby Thai. Though the farang were stupid enough to start an argument (perhaps about paying the bill??) with Thai on their own soil, he was smart enough not to hit back with 12 thai bar workers standing within several feet. The ruckus continued when the farang came back to get their stuff. The same chubby Thai hit and knocked over one of the farang and of a sudden all the male Thai bar workers began to stomp and kick and punch the farang....it ended up all the way across the street. Eventually it stopped and the farang walked away seemingly unscathed. Quite the experience for my first hour out of my room :) In the 2 years in Vegas I'd seen (and been involved once or twice:) my share of scuffles, but never to this degree...

Tony and I had/have been getting along quite well. I got 3 or 4 hours of sleep. Took a shower (next to the toilet:) and went to Tony's room next door and woke him. While Tony was getting ready I decided to have a quick walk up the street. AMAZED when I left the "hotel". COMPLETELY different than the night before. The street was now LITTERED with all manner of shops and stands. Cars and tuk-tuk's drove up and down the road. Many more people. The Vegas hustlers have nothing on the Thai tuk-tuk drivers and shop owners. A tuk-tukdriver made me promise I would come back in half an hour when Tony was ready so he could give us a "tour". He promised it would cost only 5 baht per place he brought us to. He was true to his word, but also duped us into stopping at 2 suit makers shops, and 2 tour agencies...At the temples we stopped at he was ushering us and hurrying us. Eventually Tony told him if he wanted to leave, he could, but we would not be hurried. We had found out through the tuk-tuk driver that he could get gas vouchers from the places he "made" us go, thus we discovered the reason for the low cost of the ride. Though we knew we could tell him no, he was good enough natured and the energy spent arguing wasn't worth the time. But it was a one time experience. I wouldn't go through the "extra stops" again ("good for me, good for you!!" he was fond of saying)

The first temple was amazing. The second not so. The third was huge and went way way up. From the top you could see the whole city. After the dropping us at the last temple our tuk-tuk driver claimed exhaustion, and asked for his money. I gave him $1 which was more than twice as much as the promised price, but nothing compared to all the driving around he had done.
After the last temple we walked a bit, then sat and ate a nice dish of fried rice, egg, and chicken for 30 baht. Then got a bargain ride back to San Road (10 baht). Of course once we got in the Kohtuk-tuk, even after he promised no "stops" for the 10 baht price, he did his best to get us to "help him" by making more stops.... "No more stops for us" "We walk then". But he took us as promised. AWESOME ride like I had read about. Popping wheelies in the tuk-tuk and weaving in and out of traffic. FUN FUN, though Tony was a bit shaken...laughing.

Now I sit in an Internet cafe/restaurant. The cost for the Internet is 1 baht per minute. Tony sits behind me planning out his trip. He is EXTREMELY well travelled. Has been on several bicycle tours of Europe and many other parts of the world. It is good to have him as a companion.

I'm quite pleased with the cost of the room and will be staying at least one more night here. Tomorrow or the next day I'll make my way to Pattaya....

No comments: